St. Cloud, MN – As the SCSU Huskies embark on a new season vs the University of St. Thomas this weekend here’s 10 interesting things to know:
- We won’t know whether SCSU senior forward Easton Brodzinski will be in the lineup until the roster sheet is released on Saturday. If he does play, it will be an amazing comeback story after a serious leg fracture in April. The fifth-year senior enters the season as one of the most productive active career leaders in offense in College hockey. He’s ninth in career points with 98, second in goals with 55, fourth in power-play goals with 21, and tied for first with five others in game-winning goals with 12.
- Speaking of offense, the St. Cloud State University Huskies enter the 2021-22 season with one of the more prolific offenses in college hockey. They enter the season with the most returning points (252), fourth-highest percentage of returning goals (94%), and the highest percentage of returning points (94%)
- St. Thomas senior defenseman, John Schuldt was recently named as a captain of the team. Schuldt, who is the brother of former Husky Jimmy Schuldt transferred to St. Thomas after three seasons with the Omaha Mavericks. The 6’4″ 216 pound 24 year old skated in 58 games with 2 goals 6 assists and 8 points.
- The University of St. Thomas makes its Division I hockey debut on October 2nd and is the sixth team to enter the Division I ranks since 1996. UST was preceded by Long Island University (2020), Arizona State University (2015), Penn State University (2012), Robert Morris University (2004), and Omaha and Niagara University (1996).
- St Thomas senior defenseman Trevor Zins transferred to the Tommies after two seasons with the SCSU Huskies. The 23-year-old native of St. Michael, MN played in 180 junior hockey league games in the BCHL, NAHL, and USHL before joining the Huskies in 2019-20. You’ll most likely see Zins in the lineup for the Tommies this weekend as one of the most experienced players on the squad.
- SCSU senior goaltender David Hrenak is one of the most experienced goalies at the collegiate level. He enters the season first in saves (2,664), second in goaltending wins (66), and tied for third in shutouts (11).
- St. Cloud State fifth-year graduate student and defenseman Seamus Donohue begins the 2021-22 season third in career games played with 148. Donohue played three seasons with Michigan Tech University before transferring to the Huskies last season.
- At age 18, first-year forward Jack Peart, a Minnesota Wild second-round draft choice in 2021 will make his debut this weekend as one of the youngest players in college hockey. The two youngest players in college hockey are Jack Hughes of Northeastern and Jack Devine of Denver who are 17 years old.
- Goaltender Peter Thome should make his debut for St. Thomas this weekend after appearing in 42 games for the University of North Dakota over four seasons from 2017 to 2021. He transferred to St. Thomas as a graduate student for the 2021-22 season.
- Entering the season, the St. Cloud State University Huskies have been one of the most successful college hockey programs over the past 10 seasons. They rank just behind Denver, UMD, North Dakota, and Notre Dame and are tied with Boston College with seven NCAA tournament appearances in the last 10 years. They have the third-longest active streak of NCAA appearances behind UMD and Notre Dame with 3. They are tied for third with 4 NCAA appearances in the last 5 years behind UMD and Notre Dame.
Note: statistics courtesy of College Hockey Inc.